Just Breath.....The Practice of Relaxation
posted: Nov. 13, 2020.
Deep breathing is a popular relaxation technique that helps to control the symptoms of stress, anxiety, and anger. The skill is easy to learn, and provides near immediate relief from uncomfortable symptoms. As the name suggests, deep breathing works by taking slow, deep breaths, to trigger the body's relaxation response.
1. Inhale. Breathe in slowly through your nose for 4 seconds.
2. Pause. Hold the air in your lungs for 4 seconds.
3. Exhale. Breathe out slowly through your mouth for 6 seconds.
4. Repeat. Practice for at least 2 minutes, but preferably 5 to 10 minutes.
- If it isn't working, slow down!
- Count out your breaths.